Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mr. Match

So I tried it, but wasn't really too excited about being broadcasted on Match.com so I closed my account, not before emailing my one interest and giving him my phone number.  The next day I receive a text message...what is it with guys and texting!! I'm not so opposed to it, and I know it's nerve-wracking calling a girl, etc. etc but I do think it's easier to hide behind a text than to pick up the phone and have a good old fashioned phone call.

Anyway after all is said and done we arrange to have dinner at Panya Thai, touted as one of the best Thai Restaurants in the area.  Again, I've never been and was very pleasantly surprised.  It's location is not what I would call ideal, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised when I walked in.  The decor is nice, dark woods, art, etc.  I was also pleasantly surprised by my date.  Of course I'd seen a picture, but this was our first meeting and I was a little apprehensive, having never done anything like this before.

The conversation was so easy it was refreshing.  He suggested the restaurant and said it was one of his favorites, I happen to love Thai food and we went with his suggestion of a shared Papaya salad for starters.  I love spicy food and we decided on the Medium heat level for the salad...boy oh boy!


An easy breezy conversation turned to a sweat session once the salad arrived.  I usually order the medium spicy level when eating Thai but this was too much!  I was slightly embarrassed and had to excuse myself to the ladies room to get the perspiration and heat in my mouth under control.

After this everything else was smooth sailing.  The food was Excellent! (I had Beef Masaman Curry, he had Chicken Pad Tahi - a boring selection, but I'm not judging) I love the fact that this is not your typical Thai/Sushi restaurant (which is a pet peeve of mine)...they focus on Thai cuisine and in my opinion they do an excellent job, I've never been to Thailand, so I can't comment on authenticity, but it's not quite the run of the mill Thai menu that some restaurants serve up.  I can't wait to go back and try more of the menu.

So back to the date.  Our dinner lasted almost 3 hours, I guess you can draw your own conclusions :) We covered the usual conversation points such as work, hobbies, movies, family, etc.  All in all despite my Match.com hesitation of meeting this person online, never seeing him in person and meeting 'blindly' after only a few email and phone exchanges, I would say this was a very successful first date, and very yummy too!

Panya Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment